Update on Potential Storm
Thursday, October 1, 2015 7:30pm
We refrained from sending any earlier emails as there is no reason to panic or concern anyone unnecessarily. We also know that, in light of previous experience, our community is anxious and we therefore felt it prudent to send out one email at this juncture.
The following update will provide some key points regarding Hurricane Joaquin:
If there is any sort of imminent threat or concerning update, we promise to disseminate such information in a timely fashion.
At this point there is absolutely no discussion or decision of any sort of evacuation.
The latest updates from the National Weather Service indicate that the storm may turn away and while we all know these forecasts can change by the moment, we certainly hope that this will be the case.
Regardless, the NWS forecast for the next several days is windy and rainy. High winds can down trees and power lines and cause significant damage. For the safety of your own families and that of your neighbors please be sure to secure and tie down your Succahs to the best of your ability.
If you have a question as to whether or not your Succah should be taken down earlier than usual, please be sure to consult your personal Rav.
Finally, we are thankful to have been in touch every couple of hours with Assemblyman Goldfeder, the OEM, Scott Stringer's office, local NYC and Nassau Police Precincts, Hatzalah and other organizations. We will send out joint updates if and when they become necessary.
Wishing everyone an enjoyable Succos and a Chag Sameach.
Achiezer Staff-7:30 PM 10/1/15